Sunday, September 21, 2008

What are you going to do with all that "free time?"


When I told people that my youngest daughter Sydni would be in 1st grade this year, I had so many people ask me " What are you going to do with all that time?" Well, I have had dreams of what I could accomplish with all that "free" time with the kids in school all day but I tell ya what, I am amazed at how busy I am with just a lot of stuff! I do have to say that I have had some things thrown in the mix to fill my time like dealing with a basement that flooded for the third time in about 6 months and doing a candle party for the first time in months, along with everything else I need to get done. I am not at a lack of things to do. I would love to have time to scrapbook, blog and go shopping and play but my time is full of all those little things that add up when it comes to managing a family, a calling and a household of things.
One thing is for sure, I seriously just enjoyed the house being totally quiet on the first day of school. I don't know that I turned on the TV or music the first couple of days just so that I could enjoy the uninterrupted quiet. Not to say that I don't enjoy a house full of family and friends, but it isn't too often that my house is quiet like that.
I suppose no matter what stage in life we are in, there is plenty to fill up our time, it is just how we choose to fill it. I hope I fill it wisely.
I have some big goals of deep cleaning, de-junking closets and all the toys and things that are sitting in the garage after the flooded basement ordeal. I also look forward to being able to do projects around the house like re-painting some walls and re-doing the basement, now that there is no carpet and half of the paneling is gone. I also hope to be more diligent in my scripture study, fulfilling my calling and visiting teaching responsibilities. I would like to volunteer at the school and hope to stay on top of my blogging/journaling and going through boxes and boxes of photos and putting them in an album. Oh, the list goes on and I am sure I will have time to do those things all eventually.
But for now I will focus on what is on the to do list for today and make sure that I pencil in some time for friends and fun. Afterall, I do think I can make time for that no matter how busy I get with all that "free" time!

2 comments:

AZ Karen said...

"Free time"...those are famous last words...

About 2 weeks after Hannah started 1st grade, I got called to be primary president...so much for free time. Sadly, now that I've been released, it hasn't gotten much better.

Liz said...

You have quite the ambitious to do list. When I first finished college I had TONS of free time, but it didn't take long to fill that up, so get as much done sooner rather than later:).