Friday, July 25, 2008

Here we go..

My first blog entry. I set this blog up a couple of months ago but am finally getting started.. I am looking forward to getting into the whole blogging thing. I have a lot to learn but I gotta start somewhere, right?
Our header picture is of our family in Palmyra, NY over Memorial Day weekend.

We went to see my parents who are serving a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints http://www.lds.org/ in Palmyra NY. They are site missionaries and give tours of the Home where Joseph Smith and his family lived, their farm and the Sacred Grove where he had his first vision. They also give tours of the Hill Cummorah http://www.hillcumorah.org/ where The Gold Plates were found , the Peter Whitmer Farm where Joseph lived for a time and finished the translation of the gold plates to be the Book of Mormon and the Grandin Building where the first copies of the Book of Mormon were printed.
We had an amazing time. You could feel that it is a sacred place, the spirit of God is there and our testimonies of the gospel were strengthened. We hope to make it back again soon!

SOME PICTURES OF OUR VISIT

Inside the Joseph Smith log home where the Angel Moroni appeared to him and told him about the record of the ancient Americans ( The Gold Plates)


Reading a sign at the Smith farm outside the Old Frame House


Hugs from Sydni in the Sacred Grove


A Fun picture in the Sacred Grove


Outside the Visitors Center at the Hill Cumorah
Looking at a replica of the Gold plates at the Grandin building

At the top of the Hill Cumorah

At the Grandin Building where Grandpa is teaching Dallen about Moroni's visit to Joseph Smith and how Moroni came to Joseph five times with the same message.
A replica of the handwritten translation of the Gold Plates into what is now the Book of Mormon

The printing press at the Grandin Building where the first copies of the Book of Mormon were published.

Sydni, Meagan, Kailee & Dallen resting their feet at the Grandin Building.

Grandpa& Grandma at the Whitmer Farm Visitor's center

Joe & Janelle at the Whitmer Farm.

Our family outside the Peter Whitmer farm home
Inside the Whimer Farm home where the Church was officially organized and the sacrament was passed.
Eating Fudge with Grandma Clark at the Whitmer Farm

Thanks for a wonderful visit Grandma & Grandpa, we sure love you!

9 comments:

jmom said...

another blog to check!! good job jannelle. i'm sure your family will love it!

Michelle Y said...

Love your new blog! I'll send you an invite to mine, so we can "blog" together. The family picture at the top is really cute of all of you!

Jessica said...

Welcome to the blogging world!!
Your family picture up top is very cute. I am so excited to be able to blog with you :-)
What a neat experience to be able to go as a family to visit your parents on their mission.

Liz said...

Welcome to blogging! I can't wait to read many more entries!!

If you want to see mine its at www.ldspierce.net

Hope you're having a great day!!

The Turner Family said...

so I found my password and login to my blog but ended up changing the whole thing up. I sent you an email. I cant wait to see more posts. I have a friend that makes a post each week. I am still trying to figure out how to add friend links to my blog.

jill s said...

awesome janelle! i'm so glad you have a blog now!!

and i love that picture of the girls dressed up as princesses above. so sweet!

Gwen said...

This is soo cute!! I'm glad you sent me the email. I love it! Welcome to the blogging world.

Jeanette said...

Hey! We just went to Palmyra for two days in June and I didn't see your parents! I am so bummed I missed them. Of course, I didn't kno wthey were serving a mission there...I wish I had known. I did see my old MTC mission pres though. That was cool. Thanks for sending me a link to your blog. You are quite the photographer. Great job!

Grandpa and Grandma C said...

I can't wait for you to come back